View pictures of recent custom builds in our Bookmobile Gallery.
Farber Specialty Vehicles
We are dedicated to developing bookmobiles that are distinctive and innovative, using the latest and most advanced technologies.
We offer a full line of bookmobiles in order to satisfy the diverse needs of our customers. The FARBER COACH bookmobile is designed and built from the chassis up in our Columbus plant. Other models include the traditional walk-in style VENTURE; the M2; the cutaway style SUPER DUTY and F450/F550 bookmobiles. The FARBER SPRINTER van and FARBER BOOKHAULER round out our bookmobile family.
From Assistant Library Director Mary Stein, Baton Rouge, LA;
Libraries on wheels play an important role in expanding library services beyond local branches.
Baton Rouge's fleet of two bookmobiles have been roaming the streets of East Baton Rouge Parish since 2002.
The library's return to bookmobile service about a decade ago was part of the system's attempt to get books into the hands of patrons who couldn't easily visit a neighborhood branch.
The bookmobiles serve not only youngsters, but residents of retirement homes.
"Today, our two bookmobiles and several other outreach services vehicles deliver library books, present library storytimes, and even teach computer classes to more than 100 preschools, nursery schools and daycare centers each month, as well as more than 30 retirement centers, plus special visits to local schools, colleges, community centers and public events," said assistant library director Mary Stein.
Last year, more than 179,000 library patrons in East Baton Rouge Parish were served by these mobile outreach.
That kind of outreach is critical in a state where so much work remains to be done in promoting literacy.
To bookmobile operators throughout Louisiana, we say, let the reading roll.
FARBER COACH Bookmobile
Our FARBER COACH features a rear diesel engine, high headroom and large book capacities. Available in 37, 40 and 45 foot lengths.
- Wide body offers more room for patrons and staff
- Diesel powered rear engine for quieter cab area and ease of servicing
- Freightliner Chassis
- 1. Full air brakes – Increased stopping ability
- 2. Superior handling characteristics – tight turning radius
- 3. Longer life and performance
- 86" Interior headroom
- Increases book capacity by 20% with no additional length
- More open and spacious
- Driver's door option
- Increased safety
- Ease of access
- Keeps vehicle cleaner with a service personnel access location
- Larger driver's and passenger's windows
- Better visibility and improved safety
- Increased view of side mirrors
- Electrical systems
- Magnetic/hydraulic circuit breakers with LED lighting to visually indicate the status of each line
- Access panel running the perimeter of the ceiling and wall allows electrical wiring and components to be easily maintained
- ENT conduit means longer wiring life and easier future changes
- Central or roof mounted air conditioning
GVWR 20,500 – 29,000 lbs. / 18-30 feet inside
GVWR 19,000 – 29,000 lbs. / 18’ – 30’ inside
SUPER DUTY Bookmobile
GVWR 14,050 lbs. / 14’- 17’ inside
Select from General Motors GMC / Chevrolet, Ford, Freightliner or International chassis.
- Aluminum body, step wells, and compartments
- All aluminum construction is durable and long lasting. Will never rust.
- High Headroom
- Greater 82 inch ceiling height provides a more open spacious feeling.
- Driver and passenger cab entrance doors
- For easy access and safety
- Driver and passenger air bags
- Standard for safety
- Large storage capacity
- Extra large storage capacity for return books, supplies, or additional volumes.
- Stack windows optional
- Offers extra natural light for a more spacious feeling.
- Wiring Accessibility
- All 120 volt and 12 volt wiring is placed around the ceiling perimeter in two raceways with easily removable access panels. Wiring is run through non-metallic conduit to the wall outlets and devices.
- THNN Stranded Wiring
- Stranded color and numbered wire is made specifically for automotive applications.
- Magnetic hydraulic circuit breakers
- U.L. Listed and designed for mobile applications, these circuit breakers are made to take years of punishment. They are screwed in place, unlike the commonly used residential slide-in type. This means less maintenance and fewer electrical problems.
FARBER "Book Hauler"
- Ideal for Lobby Stop service
- In-building daycare service
- Collection feed to branch buildings
- Provide patron service next to vehicle at fairs and festivals
- Generous shelf capacity for restocking
- Various vehicle lengths available
- Gasoline or diesel powered engines
- High maneuverability
FARBER SPRINTER Bookmobile
- When maneuverability is critical
- Available with optional lift for patrons or carts, or ramp for carts only
- Full stand up headroom
- Driver's and passengers entrance doors
- Driver and passenger air bags standard
- Diesel powered engine